Saturday, May 21, 2011

Caged Ptatoes

Day 107   April 28th
One of the problems in growing potatoes is that because of lingering diseases in the soil, you can't grow them in the same plot within one or two years. This also applies to tomatoes which are of a similar family. I'm reluctant to check whether this also applies to yams as these three are my most successful crops if you don't count herbs which you can't really eat anyway. I have been loosely planting by this rule, but pretty soon all the beds become off limits to toms and pots.  So when I read about caged potatoes using chicken wire I thought I would have a go. While researching for the best way to go about this it became apparent that almost any container would do.  Broccholli boxe, despite the name, feel much more friendly than scratchy chicken wire. So surrounded by sheep manure and soil lie four nicola potatoes waiting to burst forth and multiply.

No comments:

Post a Comment