Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sorghum

Sorghum is a genus of numerous species of grasses, one of which is raised for grain and many of which are used as fodder plants either cultivated or as part of pasture. The plants are cultivated in warmer climates worldwide. Species are native to tropical and subtropical regions of all continents in addition
Day 110    May 1st
On the drive to Warwick I kept seeing fields of some type of grain that I didn't recognise.  I suspected that it was something grown to feed animals, but it's not anything I have seen before.  Asking around I found it is Sorghum, a word I have heard and obviously read before because I had a vague idea how to spell it. Actually I only knew that there was an 'h' in there somewhere.
Sorghum is a genus of numerous species of grasses, one of which is raised for grain and many of which are used as fodder plants either cultivated or as part of pasture. The plants are cultivated in warmer climates worldwide. Species are native to tropical and subtropical regions of all continents in addition to the South West Pacific and Australasia
I wasn't sure whether this was a crop that was harvested or used for grazing.  It appeared to be used both ways. So I was pleased to see that my observations had been accurate when I did look it up at home. Of course Greg would have done it on the spot, or driven to a spot where he could get phone coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment