Sunday, January 30, 2011

Seedlings

Day 15  January 26th
I've never had much success with seeds. Whenever I tried in the past, after several weeks of cossetting, the fledgling plants would attract the curiosity of children or pets and end up seperated from their pots.
Earlier this year I bought a tray of mixed tomato seedlings.  Only two plants two grew well.  One was a  variety of Roma tomatoes.  What was exceptional about them, was that I did not have to pick them slightly before they were perfectly ripe in order to get them before whatever else fancied eating them.  Perhaps this should be a concern.  Why doesn't anything else want to eat them?  I decided to block this concern; I was so pleased to find a non cherry size tomato that I could pick intact. 
The others were striped green tomatoes.  I ignored them for a while, waiting for them to ripen. Then I remembered that one of the varieties in the pack had been green; so I could wait forever for it to turn red.  They turned out to be delicious and very sweet.
Unfortunately I couldn't find either type in the nurseries.  If I wanted more, the only solution was to take seeds from the tomatoes I still had. The early stages went very well. I soaked the seeds and sieved them to get rid of the gooey stuff, then planted them in small pots. When they grew two sets of leaves I trasplanted them into larger pots.
Since then there has been little development. I don't have any idea what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment