Sunday, January 30, 2011

Starting over


Day 6      18th January Apparently there are some animals that want to eat the actual yams.  They are weevils. I think I have come across them, or rather the results of them eating the yams. When I planted the current bed of yams I just buried pieces in the ground.  If I do this again, I risk transporting any weevils and any diseases to the new spot. The way round this is to take cuttings and plant them.  So I have taken a couple and put them at the end of the bed currently housing the pumpkins. I need to be vigilent to make sure they are not overwhelmed by the pumpkin plants which I swear I can actually see  growing.  Those in the current bed are still very prolific, but I am told over time the will develop diseases and possibly weevils and I will need to start again. They take a very long time to produce sizeable roots so I am thinking ahead by planting these cuttings.

No comments:

Post a Comment