Sunday, January 30, 2011

Slendour in the Grass

Day14  January 25th
The rain has meant that the lawn has turned into a meadow.  It's impossible to mow so all sorts of wild flowers have been able to grow. I prefer it like this, but we don't have cows or a goat to prevent it becoming waist high so it will have to be mown.
I tripped over a heavy boot a few days ago and bruise my little toe. It's a little swollen and extremely uncomfortable to wear shoes and even worse sandals. As a result I've been going ouside barefoot. I don't usually do this as Australia is home to several extremely venemous snakes plus a few spiders. If I do accidentally tred on something nasty I would prefer to be shod.  So walking barefoot in the grass was a novelty which transported me back to my childhood. I can't imagine that I went barefoot too often in England.  I can only conclude that the allure of cool grass caused me to shed my shoes whenever the chance arouse. The sensations were the same: cool, soft and prickly at the same time, and slightly damp. The smell was the same too.  I can't think of the words to describe it, just summer grass. I should probably have laid down to stere at the clouds, but I didn't.  I didn't do cartwheels either.

No comments:

Post a Comment